The Cooperative Way
In the interest of those they serve, Swisher Electric is follows these seven guiding principles:
- Voluntary and Open Membership
- Democratic Member Control
- Members’ Economic Participation
- Autonomy and Independence
- Education, Training, and Information
- Cooperation Among Cooperatives
- Concern for Community
A 'touchstone' is a measure of quality and value. Touchstone Energy was selected as the most effective name for communicating the unique characteristics that convey the special nature of cooperatives. These include:
- strength and responsiveness through a local presence;
- a genuine commitment to the communities they serve;
- a human relationship orientation;
- innovation and state-of-the-art technology, and
- high-quality service with a true focus on customers.
Cooperatives are special because they are owned by the member-owners they serve and because they are guided by seven principles.
Today more than 900 electric cooperatives service 42 million people in 47 states that make up 12% of the nation’s population.